Saturday, November 01, 2008

Power of Worship

We are journeying through the Power of Worship. I was hoping that in this series we would be able to help people get fresh appreciation for the body of Christ and what happens when we worship God together.

You can worship God by yourself, of course.

But something different happens when we worship together. I am stimulated, encouraged, and strengthened by the faith of others when I feel them put themselves into worship. It motivates me through my own weaknesses when someone who has had a tougher time than me, nevertheless gives God more. I benefit from their joy, and feed off of their energy, and it opens me up to relationship with them because we are connected by a common interest.

And then something else happens that gets my attention. In the early church of Acts 2, God adds to them. It's not their outreach, not their witnessing, and not their programs, that causes them to grow. It simply seems to be that God wants them to because of who they are!

Who they are, is a bunch of serious worshipers who put God first, and into, everything they do. They live for him, spend time with him, and give him (and each other) everything. God seems to not only enjoy hanging out with them, but also sending other people to hang out with them.

I want to be a church like that- where God enjoys being with us, and compels others to be with us.

Of course, in the next chapter, persecution begins BECAUSE they are growing so well and enjoying so much popularity. I guess I'd prefer that persecution doesn't follow effectiveness. But if it does, God help me get myself ready and stay true to Him, no matter what is ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment