Tuesday, February 24, 2009

heart clarity

Forgiveness is simple and clear enough, right? Somebody does something hurtful, and I am left with the after math.

If they asked for forgiveness and are repentant, then it's pretty simple. I can forgive and love to do it.

But if they have not asked for forgiveness, and I am hurting over what they did, then it's more difficult. I still need to forgive, for my sake, because to not forgive makes me bitter, stresses me out,  and ages me prematurely.

But I also need to learn something from that relationship and grow. The challenge is learning how to give that relationship less power in my heart, yet forgive the person for what hurts so much. 

I find that much more challenging.

3 comments:

  1. sounds challenging. challenging enough to be really important to figure out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:47 AM

    After almost 27 years of marriage, I am still learning about forgiveness. Thanks for the good word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:07 PM

    What you said about giving that relationship less power was a strong affirmation of releasing that one's control on your emotions... that's one of the keys to personal freedom in this world! And getting thru the hurt involves an open wound and the subsequent healing. Takes time and prudent tending... Some cuts are deeper than others....Humm, how to develop a thick skin and still stay sensitive. Love your insight, PG!

    ReplyDelete