Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Raising kids to leave you

Good parents raise kids that grow up to leave home, right? The failure to launch syndrome doesn't seem like any fun.

But moving day, whether it's a wedding day, or helping them leave for college, has proved much, much harder than it ever looked when I was a kid and my parents were doing it.

Raising up leaders can be the same way. I dream of raising up powerful, world changers who grow up to leave my direct team and go out to take over the world for God.  

But the day we actually send them out sounds like... well... a lot like the day I sent my daughter off to college. It was sort of like a "painful-celebration". We carried her stuff to the car, packed it all up, then sat on the sofa together and cried for an hour. Then she drove away. The crying didn't drive away for awhile, but the excitement over what a great lady she had become didn't end quickly either.

The difference here of course, is that in raising up leaders, there is another crop of exciting young potentially powerful leaders coming behind them that I am very excited about. I am already looking forward to the day when I get to cry and celebrate about sending them out.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you are also raising up more mature ( I refuse to say "old") leaders as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. raising them up to leave. yes it is very hard, i have been crying off and on but knowing i would rather have jake live in china and be in the lords will then in New oxford and living for the world. i am truely blessed to call him my son.... but still hurts to send him off.

    ReplyDelete