Monday, September 29, 2008

of Policies

So when I read the recent book on Integrity in Ministry, it had unintended consequences. Like, I repented to God for not being better about the role of bringing correction.

I hate confrontation, and more as I get older and have done it more.

But it is needed for health in a church. And I am working on it.

In that vein, I am considering some new policies for team members. I dislike policies and even more dislike rules. Julie tells me that I am a person who has a high need from freedom, and she may be right. Especially in the area of rules.

But some personalities are much comforted by rules, and love policies in general, even if I do not tend to do so.

So I can see that policies concerning office hours, attire, and even attendance of services, would help some.

My most recent consideration has to do with asking staff to be in all three weekend services. As a staff run church, perhaps it is time to require it. Sam Masteller mentioned today that the Wave church requires staff to be in all SEVEN! They have services all over the weekend map, and are growing rapidly, so there is something being done right. Perhaps that kind of excellence that would come from more staff involvement, would help with it.

We seem to spend more time (usually led by me) explaining why our services are not growing, than figuring out how to get more people in those services where there is plenty of room. I am re-committing myself to figuring out how to get these services filled, even while making more room for more people in the big 11:15 am service, which is often uncomfortably full.

Of course, it would also make life a lot more difficult for some staff to require them to come to more services. I dread that. Perhaps even some of these precious people would need to step aside or find a more convenient job. That would smart, a lot.

Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment