Friday, November 23, 2007

one amazing man

I've been in ministry since the early 80's. Not as much surprises me as it once did. I have seen some stuff, I guess. The same, boring old painful sins that destroy lives, and make hearts hard. And while it's hardly ever surprising anymore, it still hurts to watch someone destroy themselves.

But I have also seen some incredible examples of extraordinary faith and courage. For example, a few years ago, I watched a man as his wife worked through her own pain, and tried everything to medicate the ache in her soul. She even tried various affairs as the man helplessly wept and begged her not to leave him and their kids. But her personal pain drove her on, seeking some solution, or some respite from the thoughts and inner frustration.

He never gave up. He asked the few people he could trust to pray with him, and believe that she would come back. He also asked us to pray that he would have the courage and faith to forgive and take her back. I wondered if she could forgive herself and come back. And I wondered if he could actually forgive.

She did. He did too. I am still amazed at his extraordinary faith.

For a long time he asked for prayer to heal from his own pain. We prayed a lot. He seems better.

Amazing.

He's the kind of man I hope to be when I grow up. Because of him, his kids were able to come home for Thanksgiving, to both their parents. Because of him, they will never have to decide if they can put up with his new wife, or her new husband.

I have seen a lot of men (and women) say it's simply too hard to forgive, and that they couldn't do it. But it's harder not to, I think. God help me find the courage to do so when I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment