Thursday, December 04, 2008

oh wretched man

I am more and more aware of how different I am as a person. 

Two weeks ago, my niece wrote on the Stoltzfoos Family Yahoo Group that she wanted to do a "fabric exchange" at the Stoltzfoos family Christmas thing. I'll be honest; I cannot imagine spending more than about 12 seconds discussing fabric. I could not have known a subject that I am less interested in.

But that little email blurb generated a ton of interest. I didn't know the Stoltzfoos's had so much to say! On and on the 'fabric' discussion went, like we were talking about something interesting(!) like motorcycles, or church. You know, fun stuff. At least to me.

And I discovered recently that there are people out there who love the color purple. Which to me, is a little like loving the devil. Or Osama Ben Laden. It seems unthinkable in my tiny brain.

And then there is leadership. When I get with other leaders, I realize that my leadership thinking is way different. We start at a different place, take different paths to any given destination, and struggle to see the end point as the same place.

And I suspect that it is not them that is wrong, usually- it is me. 

I guess I thought I was a pretty regular guy. A pretty normal dude. But recently, I am painfully aware that I am just... not... normal.

Sorry world. I hope my abnormalities don't bother too many people, or make too many people feel like they are the strange ones. For those of you still reading this drivel, please know that I know that it is definitely me who is the odd one. I fervently hope that my strong and odd opinions are not the source of pain for the people around me.

Know that I am writing this tongue-in-cheek. I sort of like who I am even if I am different. But I genuinely hope I don't bother other people with it.

God, please help me not hurt people with my oddities.

5 comments:

  1. Purple is beautiful. Don't worry, I haven't let that oddity hurt me. I'll be praying that God reveals to you the beauty of all the wave lengths we call colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your oddities. Maybe you're not a normal dude, but I'd be the most normal (and boring) of dudes without your "oddities" always clashing with my "normalcy". Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:35 AM

    I have known people who are much more odd but perhaps no one who is as single minded about Kingdom business. The fact you see it and care how it impacts others shows how God ordained it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:48 PM

    WHat fun would life be if everyone was "normal" Gerry!?? What a bland and colorless place we'd live in without the millions of shades of "normal" He created for us!! YOU ROCK!! Don't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your opinions are usually just funny, even if others differ. I mean, without different opinions, life would be boring, as Wendy said. And I can't see you hurting someone's feelings very easily. You are so 'careful' about caring for other people. I have seen many times, where if you think you hurt someone's feelings, even slightly, you apologize. That is quite encouraging. And I, dear Gerry, would like to be like THAT when I grow up. =]]]

    ReplyDelete