Monday, December 08, 2008

heroes are standing up

Wow. I was hardly prepared for the avalanche of family issues that this past weekend brought up. Yesterday it was something like 3:30pm when I finally got done praying with couples, families, and individuals who had to face the wreckage of sinful lives- either their own or someone else's.

Several marriages dealt with infidelity for the first time. I talked to kids who wanted to know how to handle an abusive parent- some Mom's and some Dad's. I talked to quite a few very remorseful people who made huge mistakes and now have to face forgiving themselves even more than other people.

I count it unspeakably precious to be able to help in difficult places like these. And by the grace of God, I believe in some ways, I did.

From time to time, someone tells me that they wouldn't want my job, because it involves to much "playing in the sewer of human pain". But this is the job I was born to do and I am thrilled beyond belief when I get to do it, and it helps someone. All I do, is lead them to the foot of the cross, and help them see the value of bending their knee before a forgiving and understanding God who is acquainted with pain and can help them heal.

And after years of doing this job, here's what I know. Every person who finds their way through these excruciatingly painful events and survives it by falling on their knees before Jesus, will emerge with the strength and vitality of a super-hero. I never get tired of seeing that happen.

1 comment:

  1. I know how dealing with my pain in the last two years has helped me to grow in Christ. The love of God shines through you and your staff. Thank you for teaching from your heart on the not so easy issues of life. Love you Gerry!!

    ReplyDelete