Wednesday, April 18, 2012

teaching kids

I felt like I really connected with Kid's Connect tonight. I taught them about how I overcame night mares by learning to use the name of Jesus. Then we read Matthew 10 where Jesus warns us that life has a way of unearthing our secrets and shouting form the rooftops the very things we thought we had covered up and hidden.

The kids got real quiet as I told them how I stole a belt when I was around 10, and though I never got caught, I couldn't live with it and years later had to show up at the door of the folks I stole from and pay for that belt.

Something inside of us refuses to allow secrets to remain... secret.

Some people think they got it covered and are okay, then only a few years later some 'mysterious' illness crops up, like their very bodies refuse to allow it to be covered. Others confess it wide-eyed, believing they are really opening up, only to have many look at them and say they already knew it was going on.

Jesus said we don't need to fear things being revealed if we live life openly, honestly, and without secrets. If I confess my sins, I get to control when it gets revealed at least. If I don't what I should remind myself to know is that it certainly will be revealed and I am very unlikely to like how it is told.

Lots of our fear comes from being afraid of our secrets. We can get relief by getting it told, and conquer fear by facing it.

Living life honestly is so much simpler. God help me never forget the misery of trying to hide anything.

On the other hand, if we secretly bless, God rewards. If we secretly (privately) speak complimentary things of others, the reward is sure. If we meet God in private, He promised that it will show, openly. Even good secrets cannot stay hidden.

No comments:

Post a Comment