Friday, June 18, 2010

Growth of the Kingdom in Adam's County

Below is a report from The American Religious Data Archive that details some surprising stuff. For example, since 1990, Adam's county grew 16% in population and 22% in total church adherence. The AG in Adam's County, grew 330%!


Here's the report:  http://www.thearda.com/mapsReports/reports/counties/42001_compare80.asp

But while I am glad there are huge gains in 'market share' (percentages of people connecting to church), the report also details what I want to focus on next- more of the 41,000 who are still disconnected, feeling unloved, unwanted, or out of order with God.



Adam's County is part of the Cold Northeast. That is, we are part of the least evangelized portion of America. 54 million people live here in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont.


An estimated 45 million of them will spend eternity in Hell. 


THAT is the number that calls out to my soul morning, noon, and night. These are friends, colleagues, family members, and total strangers, but all of them matter deeply to God -and to every person who loves Him!


"With the right lever, I could move the world" is something like Aristotle or somebody said.


I believe strategy is that lever. I also believe that one day, God will give that lever to someone He can trust with His precious people, and that this person will be hugely instrumental in bringing them in.


If you are a parent, you may be raising that person. If you care enough about your neighbor to invite them to church, you may be inviting that person.


Or you may be that person. I pray that you are. God give us strategy to make a difference for the 45 million.




Source: http://www.pray4gcr.com/downloads/GCRTF_Progress_Report.pdf

2 comments:

  1. Vaughn just emailed me an incredible response to this, that I HAD to add:

    "I just read your blog, I was thrilled at the end of the first paragraph. I am still literally in tears over the 45 million hell bound people in my corner of the country. This is how I felt the first time I drove through New York city.

    What bothers me the most is in a few minutes I'll calm down, "oh wretched man that I am".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible post. Even more incredible comment. I love both of you so much!

    ReplyDelete