Monday, June 21, 2010

Things that make me cry on Father's Day

Lot's of Dad's feel so much pain on Father's Day because of choices their kids made. I, too, cry a lot each year these days, but not because of bad choices my kids made. Quite the opposite.

And please forgive me if this sounds braggadocious. God has been extraordinarily good to me with my kids, and this proves it. And in case you worry, please know that I am well aware that I do not deserve all these kinds words that my kids lavish on me (in this case Candace), but I feel I would be somehow just wrong if I didn't honor HIM by sharing it. She (they) makes me cry in the best sort of ways.

3 John 1:4 has become a favorite verse recently: "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth".

So here goes the nice things Candace wrote me this evening:


Hi Dad,
I've gotten so many compliments on what a great job I did during Harvest Cry.  People complimenting my leadership left and right, my way with kids, my organization, my work ethic, even the decorations, which I barely even touched!  When I protest about the decorations and try to give Izetta credit, they just shake their heads and chalk it up to "delegation".  haha, I am so very blessed.

And so, I want to thank you.  I have grown up under the best leader I know, and I seem to have amazing insights that come very easily to me, but shock the socks off of people! You and mom taught me those things that come second nature.  I didn't realize until this past year how differently I think than most people...even most Christians. You taught me basic leadership skills from as early as I can remember.  Things that seem so simple!  And I remember learning things right along with you and mom all along the way.  You included us in your learning processes a lot, and in your relationship with God, I just can't seem to get over the blessings that have come from that!!  You prayed favor over us constantly, in which I am now living and leading!  

After Johannes' message in the 9:15 service, I realized that I rely on the Holy Spirit for answers constantly with kids, and He always comes through for me!  Just last night, I had two girls who wanted to get baptized AGAIN, and their parents didn't know what to tell them.  Neither did I, but they were looking to me for answers, so I took a deep breath, confidently marched over to the girls, and started talking.  I had no idea what I was going to tell them, I was feeling a little panic-y, but after I bumbled through it for a minute, suddenly, I was giving them a GREAT answer!  I didn't know what I was saying until I said it, and it was at that moment, not before, that I realized I told them exactly what they all needed to hear.  That was the Holy Spirit!  He comes through for me like that CONSTANTLY, and I have you to thank for teaching me to rely on him.

You are such an inspiring man of God, and I just keep reaping the rewards from your life of service to him. I am soooooo blessed to be your daughter AND employee.  Thank you for giving me to opportunity to serve your church alongside you.  I'm tearing up as I write this, because I don't know how I can ever thank you enough for trusting me with such a big job, at such a young age.  You saw and prophesied the leadership in me before I could even dream it. You've always believed in us, given us big jobs, and taught us to be leaders.  I will never stop receiving the blessings for that as long as I live.  My children will know those blessings as well!  

Thank you, thank you, thank you Dad.
I love you.

1 comment:

  1. I once received a birthday card from my daughter while she was in college that she FILLED with my praises. I have never thought myself the best of mothers, and have counted my mistakes and failures often... but apparently she thought I did a pretty good job, and looking at her now, I suppose with the help of God I raised an awesome daughter. There's simply no other explanation for it :)

    ReplyDelete