Monday, August 10, 2009

My great disappointment

So for the third or fourth time, I went to general Council because I was hoping for a piece of agenda that I cared about. I was hoping for change in that area.

It didn't happen. I am disapointed.

But that is not my real disapointment, exactly.

I am not even sure if our little idea would have made a big difference. It was just an 4 year experiment for 40 churches nationwide to create a new kind of district- a relational one. Currently all of our districts are geographical, which means that if your church is within the boundaries of Penn-Del for example, that yours is a PennDel church because of where it is geographically located.

The new district, because it would represent essentially a new wine skin, could have become a laboratory to experiment with and try some new ways to get some things done.

Because, here is my disapointment; in my ministry life time, church attendance in America has zoomed to about half of what it was in the early 80's when I started out.

My heart aches about that. I am weeping as I write this. My colleagues and I have failed. Our land is not reached, our once Christian nation is in apostasy, and I don't know of anyone who has an idea to fix it.

THAT IS MY BIGGEST DISAPOINTMENT; not with the AG for rejecting our idea. Not with my friends who have no idea how to fix it.

My biggest disapointment is with me.

I don't have an idea either.

80% of my culture does not attend church. I have small ideas, like about how to grow a church. I have a few larger ideas to plant more churches. But all of that together is so far from an idea, plan, strategy or way to reach my nation with the gospel.

Oh God, give me souls, or I die.

6 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, Bro. Yet unless the Lord builds the house... I appreciate your heart and commitment to the Lord and His Word. Keep going! Don't be discouraged! The Lord will shake everything that can be shaken, and what remains will be truly His Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gerry, my heart aches with you about the very things you are aching about. But, a few thoughts...
    1 - take heart - Jesus cares more about souls than either of us, and all of us put together.

    2 - Don't beat yourself up. "You and your colleagues" have not failed. You, my friend, are doing a phenomenal job. And, others are, too. Our "job" is to tell the good news. The Holy Spirit's job is to allow people to hear. But, it's up to them as to whether they will respond or not. If you failed to tell, that would be a problem. But, that's not the problem.

    3 - I understand the rationale behind the relational districts resolution. But I have a big disconnect as to what, if anything, that has to do with winning this generation to Christ. Do you really think that a 4 year experiment with 40 churches would somehow change the evangelistic outreach of the A/G? I surely don't think so. In fact, it disturbed me far more that we took so much time debating (arguing) over whether worship or evangelism should be listed first or second in our "reason for being." Like there is a choice between them. Just do it. Man, why make it so complicated. Just do it.

    Love your spirit, my friend. Stay strong in Him! Be blessed!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim,

    Thanks for the kind words.

    The TGD wanted to be an experimental organization that would try to re-organize a district for maximum possible kingdom expansion; no district office, no paid staff. All district monies and efforts would be plowed into planting churches, making disciples, etc.

    Currently, PennDel (a steller district in my mind) spends millions on staff salaries, district expenses, endless building dedications and baby dedications, weddings, and funerals, etc. While those things have value, could it be possible that reorganization would create a new wineskin that would allow for an organization to try new things, and possibly grow faster? If that were possible (and we don't know) perhaps ideas could then be adapted to the whole.

    What bothered me was that we never got the opportunity to experiment. Fears of insurrection, division, and large churches pulling away from the districts were stronger than the fear of losing our market share further, a market share that is already less than 20%!

    We are a safe movement- never rocking the boat. Demons are not afraid of us. The world is not afraid of us. We are the only ones afraid of us- God helps us not make any changes and risk anything, right? Let's argue more about wording and pretend that means anything about anything.

    I care not a whit about the AG, ultimately. I really deeply care about the Kingdom growing in America. I wish I had an idea, strategy, or plan to do something about it. If I found such a treasure, I'd sell everything I have to buy it.

    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pastor Gerry,

    You are amazing. I love your heart and passion for God, and I hope to have the same effect on others that you do. Thank you for being an example for me to follow.

    In Christ,
    Rich Jones

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Rich. You are too kind. By the way, I will be praying for you this week and on your big opening day this Sunday! You are an amazing leader and will do a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gerry, remember, the early church was small ,120 people among millions and millions we,re hear because of their commitment to JESUS. Wow! it must have seemed overwhelming to those saints also. Stay the course brother even when you cant see it Jesus can!!!!

    LOVE YOU Bobby Landis
































































    us










    us

    ReplyDelete