Thursday, January 15, 2009

John Wega, US Christian Commission

I asked John Wega of the US Christian Commission to come and be interviewed for my "Developing Outreach and Discipleship Programs" class tonight. (Thanks Tom Rees for this fantastic class idea).

John, a member of Bethel Assembly in Littlestown,  is doing some amazing outreach to tourists in Gettysburg. A few years ago he (A medical biologist) discovered that there were thousands of virtually untold stories of how believers ministered to the soldiers who fought and died at Gettysburg, and brought thousands of them to Christ.

John has become an dominant historian, documenting and collecting these stories of Christian work around and through the Civil War battles. He has re-constituted the US Christian Commission, and is again using it as a platform for reaching people with eternal life. He builds and conducts tireless period-perfect chapels on the battlefields and in the town of Gettysburg, challenging listeners with the gospel of Jesus Christ. He owns and operates a museum, conducts "living histry' exhibits that really honor both the history and Jesus, and conducts tours that honor the men and women who worked so hard to help hurting soldiers, and make an eternal difference.

I have often been deeply frustrated with how little I or we do to reach the millions of tourists who visit Gettysburg. John really encouraged me with the work that he is doing, and the affect that it is having. He is a man of real vision, courage, and positive action for God.

Way to go John!

2 comments:

  1. I love John Wega! Something in that man stirs me to evangelism every time I talk to him! Lord, make me a better messenger of Your Gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was inspired by John at the last CBMC men's conference in Gettysburg, and I look forward to seeing him again next January. John and Susan Wega pretty much made the conference for many of us.

    I know this is a bit out of the ordinary, but I want to invite you to the next CBMC men's conference in Gettysburg. They call it The Battle for the Truth, and since it's the second conference in that city, the theme is Return to the Battlefield: Telling Our Story.

    http://www.cbmc.com/2011mensconference

    John Wega will be there, and I'm sure the conference speakers will be pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete