Monday, March 10, 2008

life without speech ...or a good phone

"No discipline is pleasant for the moment... it is painful." That scripture is easier to read and teach, than to live.

This weekend was interesting. Saturday night, the lights went out and we totally lost power during the Saturday evening service. Our unstoppable congregation produced flashlights, candles, and even a headlamp for me to read by, and we went ahead anyway. God really spoke to us.

Sunday morning I got up at 6am (5 am if you count that it was daylight savings time) to tape the TV show at 7am. We did, but it did not air- perhaps they did not get it on time! By the end of the 9am service, I could hardly speak, and was so exhausted that I went upstairs, sat down in the prayer room, and promptly feel fast asleep, almost before I set down the hot tea I was carrying. I slept right through worship in the 11am service!

When I got into the auditorium and tried to say hi to someone, I realized that NOTHING was coming out! I couldn't speak at all. I prayed fervently that God would give me a voice, and when I acted in faith, it started to come. I felt like the Holy Spirit empowered that sermon almost like none I ever preached. That is such an indescribably cool, and powerful feeling.

I spent the afternoon celebrating my 17 year old son, Evan's birthday. Candace and Aaron were here, which was also very special as I have not been with them in about a month! They make me so happy to be a Dad. Candace is such a treasure, and Aaron is quite a man of integrity, honor, and hard work. I cannot imagine being happier as a Dad than I am with my children.

Today (Monday) I cannot speak at all. Whispers and screetches come if I try enough. I am spending the say home quietly, asking God to heal me and give me rest.

Clearly this is a season of attacks and discipline by the Holy Spirit. May I be found faithful, no matter what. I am quietly praying about what cell phone to buy this time, and how to get the deep rest I obviously need. God is so good to me I have nothing to complain about, and do not intend to.

What I know is this; at the end of a season like this, comes breakthrough!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:10 AM

    Satan has NOTHING on our God!! You will be delivered from this challenge because our God is an AWESOME God!

    ReplyDelete