Friday, February 17, 2012

And Then We Danced

I've read a lot of books lately. Too many to count and to catalog. For some reason, I often cannot remember the title, or the authors name, even when I liked the book.

But tonight I sat down to read a few chapters of And Then We Danced, by Mike & Fi Lusby, and Shawn Smucker (my co-author). I could not stop reading till I finished every single word. And I wished for more.

I don't think it will be hard to remember this book, it's title, and it's authors. I've known them all for a long, long time. Their disarming willingness to tell a lot of the pain in their lives and how it has impacted their marriage, will help a lot of us identify and get honest about our own pain and issues. I really appreciate that.

I have been pastoring since the early 80's, when Omar Beiler allowed me to start helping him as an apprentice, coaching and encouraging me forward. Since that time, it seems like I never get done learning that every life has a fascinating story, that when told, causes the hearer to understand and respect what that person went through to become what they are today. Mike's growing up in an alcoholic home, and Fi's sexual abuse, and painful loss of her niece, and subsequent abuse by a pastor, are such a case-in-point. I love them even more for sharing their painful story and it's dancing conclusion.

I cried a lot while I read their story tonight. But I especially cried when they danced at the end. Thanks Mike and Fi, for finding your way through and for writing a pathway for others to follow. I love you so much for all of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment