Wednesday, April 01, 2009

teaching leadership

Tonight I taught the opening class of my favorite discipleship teaching concerning the priesthood of the believer- leadership! 

Jesus teaching on leadership in Luke 10, is still the most amazing, mind bending, life giving stuff on the subject, ever. The more I teach it, the more I learn from it! I simply love his stuff.

We just covered the first few concepts that Jesus taught his up and coming leaders:

1: The harvest is plentiful; think abundance if you want to work for this guy. He is not a glass-half-empty thinker. Perhaps the most challenging thing in leadership is to think possibilities when others see problems.

2. The laborers are few: God is looking for people willing to work hard, smart, and focused on the harvest. These people live in an amazing place of God's provision. They are not asking God to provide while they sit under the shade tree waiting for Him to take care of them. They go out into the hot sun and labor in the harvest, because no matter how awesome the harvest is, it will not bring in itself.

3. Ask the Lord of the harvest: learn to seek the right source. I often tend to seek other opinions, other wisdom sources, other kinds of research. But the Lord of the Harvest wants me to seek His face first. where you go for wisdom first just might be your real God. James put it this way; a lot of us do not have because we do not ask. This is about taking responsibility to identify our desires and form real requests, not just expect God to know what we want. Grow up and ask clearly for real things.

4. To send forth laborers; the main request to God ought to be to send out more workers! The real task of leadership is to get people involved in real work!

Great, great stuff. I wonder if I ever get this stuff deep in my soul, that God will finally allow me not to teach it so often! I have no doubt that it is me He is trying to shape with this mind-bending stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment