Friday, April 03, 2009

Learning through teaching

It often seems like God has me teach certain things so that I learn them better. I am amused and challenged by His graciousness in leading me to self-revelation.

Like, right now I am teaching The Developing Outreach and Discipleship course. And I am learning(perhaps a little re-discovering)  so much through the homework students return to me.

Like, the 4 interviews of unchurched friends. Tonight I was reading Charity's recent interview of a friend who when asked about why he doesn't go to church, cited how "judgmental" church people are, and how they think they are better than other people.

This is a common theme through almost all of the interviews of unchurched people. And the usual response of us church people is to agree with them and beat ourselves up for our judgemental ways!

But I think the Holy Spirit is reminding me of some deeper reasons. Like for example the conviction of the Holy Spirit! These interviewees are feeling conviction- convinced of sin and judgement. They feel it most in the presence of God- in church. And Satan uses it to keep them out of church, by "accusing" and by arming them with reasoning to stay away from God's presence.

I really need to pray more about how to help people overcome thins thing, and try God again. I really don't think that church people by and large, are all that judgemental most of the time. Do you?

What I think I need, is more prayer time considering how to help people overcome this stronghold. How to preach about it on the TV show so that people watching can be helped. How to help people who deign to visit once, consider coming back. How to disarm the accuser of the brethren in his accusations.

I believe there is gold in these ideas. God help me find it, for the sake of precious people who are trapped.

5 comments:

  1. For a long time, I've asked God to "break my heart for what breaks" His. These unchurched interviews are really pushing me towards that.
    Every time I think of him, my heart hurts for him. It's disconcerting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. brenda lewis10:36 PM

    On the whole, I think some churches can be judgemental, but I have never felt that in our church. One thing I always respected about our church when we first started coming is that most of the people there accept you for who you are, and where you are. That starts with the leadership though, and pastor, I have never heard anyone feel that you judged them for where they were in their life, wether living for God, or not. I know from experience, that when I was at a difficult place in life, I never felt anything but love and prayer. I am excited about having care group at our home once a month. My prayer for our group is that every one "touch" one. I just got my zeal back for the lost again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think modeling Jesus's humble servant heart sometimes speaks louder than words. Saint Francis of Assisi once said something along these lines, "Preach the Gospel wherever you are, and if necessary, use words."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that the reason unsaved people don't want to go to church is because they are unsaved. Why would an unregenerate person want to worship God and hear His Word? They wouldn't! So, we must go out to them, preach the Gospel to them, and then they, as believers, will desire to go to church!

    Is there a Scripture that says that we must bring non-believers into the church? I can't think of one, but perhaps there is. The unsaved aren't told to go to church, the saved are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But Stacy, unsaved people are created in the image of God, with a built in need to know Him. I talk to lots of them and am often amazed at how hungry they are to know him and how desirous they are of being among His people. It is something He built inside of them, like the need any son has to know his father for example. It is built-in. The Holy Spirit draws them, often without them even understanding it.

    Yes, we are absolutely called to go out and preach to them. But also to "compel them to come in that my house may be filled" Luke 14:23

    Thanks for the feedback. You have fascinating insights and a pure heart to pursue after him. Very, very cool.

    Gerry

    ReplyDelete