Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Wave Church

Sam Masteller has been telling me for years I should come.

This weekend I finally had opportunity to do it. I am right now sitting in the lobby of the Wave Church. Somebody told me that this original location may have about 4500 attendees on a weekend.

I can understand why. Tight services, carefully packed with all the good stuff, and non of the "uh-oh" moments that a lot of churches seem to have a lot of.

Lots of media. The from screen is actually like 5 screens, amazingly arrayed, constantly moving, and full of life.

Three 90 minute services. The worship(music) was 22 minutes. I didn't know a song, but neither did I mind so much, because it was well done, it looked cool, and had lots of lights, smoke, and video. The preaching was 30 minutes. Not 31, by the way. Announcements are video, and live, and what is important to all. 9am was one third full, 11am 2/3 full with 2500-ish seats I was told.

But all that stuff is... well... whatever. What mattered is, I felt the presence of Jesus. Strong, powerful, emotionally rich. I felt like one of our guests who often tell me they want to cry a lot during services.

The altar call at the end took a good 7-8 minutes. Raise your hands if you want Jesus, want to repent of your sin, want to get close to God. 20-30 responses per service I would guess.

All in all, I think a lot of my leadership team should find a way to visit The Wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment